Tuesday, September 27, 2011

9/27/11 Tempo Workout

Today I did tempo repeats at the track. Originally I was planning on doing a steady 5 mile run at T pace, but I changed my mind last night and decided to do this one at the track. It also afforded me the opportunity to do the workout with Justin who was planning a similar outing.

Today’s workout was much better than last weeks tempo run. We did a 2.5 mile warm-up with no strides or dynamic drills. I changed into the Kinvaras and then started to get right after it. My plan was to run in the low 5:50 range for all the repeats and to hopefully get progressively faster, or at the very least, not go backwards. The rest was 60 seconds, or thereabouts.

My splits were all very consistent and I felt awesome the whole time. I never felt like I was “going to the well” at any point in the session. Some of the rest periods were probably closer to 90 seconds (longest), but generally they were right around 1:00. This is what I came up with for splits:

5:46, 5:46, 5:46, 5:43, 5:41

I am very happy with how this went down. The splits were all faster than I was planning on running and I still got progressively faster. Most importantly, I never felt like I was going too hard. It felt like Threshold pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment