Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Boston Marathon Training Week 5 Workouts

2/19- Half at the Hamptons- I have dreaded writing this post, and I am going to keep it short. I had high expectations coming into this race. I really thought that I was going to be able to run under 1:18. I thought on a good day I could be in the low 1:17s to high 1:16s. Plain and simple, I just sucked on Sunday. I went out for the first five miles and was comfortably in 5th place. I was consistently running under 6:00 pc (5:51-5:54s) for the first five miles and I felt great. I don't know what happened, but somewhere around the 5-mile mark my legs just stopped working. Cardiovascularly I was doing fine, but my legs were absolutely not getting it done. They felt like they each weighed about 100 pounds. I went through 6 miles in 36:00, and after that it was just a suffer-fest all the way to the end. I ended up finishing in just over 1:22. It was such a huge blow to my confidence, and a race I really want to put in the past. I write this entry on Wednesday afternoon and I am just barely starting to feel a little better. I really need to hamnmer a good workout this weekend to restore my confidence for Boston which is now just 53 days away!

Wrap-up: I really had a hard week of training this week. This is not because I did any crazy workouts or chased down some huge mileage PR, but I was mentally and physically exhausted. I tried to stretch the pace out a little bit on Wednesday and that was kind fun. On Saturday Justin and I went out to do a fast-finish 20-miler and it sucked from the start. We had horrendous weather conditions with extremely high winds and snowy roads. We were running 7:00 pace or just under for the first 12 miles and my legs felt the same way they did at Hampton...dead. I ended up bagging the last 3 miles of that run and slowly jogged back home. I decided that the best thing for me at that point was some rest and I took my first day off since January 11. It made me feel a lot better and I am ready to get back after it now. 48 days remaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment