Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Boston Marathon Training Week 6 Workouts

2/28- Tempo Run: Today marks the three-year mark that I decided to stop living a nasty, sedentary, beer-filled life. Three years ago I ran 3.25 miles on Maple Avenue in 27:31 (8:28 pc) and I couldn't have run it one second faster. I weighed 210 pounds and wanted to do nothing but shoot archery, play Wii and drink beer. Today, I weigh 160 pounds and have turned that sedentary life on its head. Rah Rah! To celebrate this I ran an 8.75 mile tempo run with Justin, and it proved to be one of the hardest tempo runs that I have ever done. The run included three monster hills: Airport Hill (backside near Twistback Rd), Jarvis Hill, and Plains Road. There are a few other minor climbs (such as Main Street) but in comparrison, these are weak. There is a significant amount of downhill running on the backside of the big hills, and there is some flat running mixed in there as well. Simply put, this is ridiculous. I managed to run it in 53:31 (6:07 pc) which is a little faster than I thought I would be able to. There were parts when it got very hard, but I pushed through and committed to finishing the whole damn thing. My legs were on fire during the final 0.15 mile assault on Webster but it was such a good burn! My bad race is in the past and I feel like a runner again!

3/2- Cruise Intervals: I did this one on the treadmill because we got pounded with snow yesterday. The workout was pretty simple, 3-mile warm-up with some strides then 6 x mile @ 5:45 each w/60s jog recovery. I did a couple miles to cool-down after and ended up with 11 miles total on the morning. It was a good workout and didn't bring me too deep into the well. I am going to double tomorrow so I can hit 70 miles for the week and then I will get back to chasing miles next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment