Saturday, February 5, 2011

Week 3 - Quality Workouts

Q1- (Sunday) This was a good one. The only hiccup was that I really wanted to do this run outside, but I had to keep it indoors because of another bad storm last night. The roads were soaked and covered in ice, slush and snow. It was not condusive to running fast out there early on. Anyway, It started with a 3-mile warm-up on the treadmill at 7:30 pace. The final mile of the warm-up I did 4 x 30 second strides at 5:00 pc. I then rolled into 5 x 1 mile at tempo pace with 60 seconds rest between each repeat. I did it as a cutdown workout and my splits went: 6:03, 6:00, 5:56, 5:56, 5:52. Following that I did 10 miles easy with Justin through West Claremont. It was a good run and we dialed the final mile down to 5:30ish pace for a little bit. I wanted to hit Marathon Pace (6:20), but it got a little out of hand. All told, 18 miles on the morning with a good tempo workout in there.

Q2- (Wednesday) The workout just didn't go my way today. Whether it was the cold temps, the hills, the wind, or just me being a pansy, I wasn't producing anything special today. The goal had been to do 6 x 1200 @ about 4:05. I knew early on that it was going to be a tough day, and I lived up to the expectations. I got through the first rep in 4:04, then 800m into the second I was forced to stop for "stomach related issues." I decided at that point to do 3 sets of 1200/800/400. The course that I selected to do this on isn't overly hilly, but it certainly isn't ideal for Interval Pace running either. There was a stiff wind that made things even more dicey. I did about a 1/4 mile jog between repeats. The distances are approximations, but are very close. Anyway, this is what I got:

Set 1: (4:04, 2:55, 86) (GPS readings were: 0.74, 0.51, 0.26) (Paces: 5:28, 5:46, 5:27)
Set 2: (4:11, 2:48, 81) (GPS readings were: 0.76, 0.52, 0.25) (Paces: 5:31, 5:27, 5:21)
Set 3: (???, 2:56, 83) (GPS readings were: watch shut off, 0.52, 0.25) (Paces: ???, 5:33, 5:39)

No comments:

Post a Comment