Sunday, February 13, 2011

Week 4 Quality Workouts

Q1- Easy 20 miler this morning. The first 12 miles were with Justin, the last 8 were a solo effort. Overall pace was 7:01. I was a bit spent but I still pushed the pace a little bit towards the end. It was a good way to start the week.

Q2- This is probably one of the biggest workouts I have ever done yet. I am sure there will be others during this cycle that compare, but this felt kinda epic (for me). I was supposed to do 1200m repeats at I pace, but that sounded kinda boring. Plus, I was on the treadmill so I wanted to run by time, not distance. I decided to do an Interval/Tempo combo workout.

It all started with the usual 3-mile warm-up in which I did 4 x 30 second strides at 5:00 pace during the final mile. Once I got into the workout I did an Interval ladder of 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00. All that was done at 10.9 MPH (5:30 pc). For recoveries I did 1:00, 1:00, 2:00, 2:00, and 4:00, respectively. All the recoveries were done at 8.0 MPH (7:30 pc). After the 4:00 recovery I rolled into a 20:00 steady tempo run at 10.0 MPH (6:00 pc). I then took a 3:00 recovery at 7:30 pace then did another interval ladder, this time in descending order. It went 3:00, 2:00, 1:00, 1:00; again, these were all done at 5:30 pace. For recoveries between these efforts I did 2:00, 1:00, 1:00, 1:00.

When this was all done, I changed into my trainers and put in a 2+ mile cool-down at 7:30 pace. I was starting to bonk when I was getting done, but that is probably equally related to the light breakfast that I ate. I am extremely pleased with how this thing worked out. I totaled 15+ miles on the morning. I checked my split at 13.1 miles and was just about 60 seconds over my current PR! I got in a total of 4 miles of I pace running, and 3.3 miles of T pace running. I can't ask for much more than that. A good day in the books now!

No comments:

Post a Comment