Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Base Training Week 6 Workouts

1/3- Fartlek Run: Today I did another treadmill workout, but this was much better than the one in Newport on New Years Eve. This afternoon was 6 sets of 4:00 hard/3:00 easy. I am still not ready to be running any world-beater workouts so I decided to make this one progressive and scale back early on. After a good three-mile warm-up I did the six sets at the following paces: (5:36, 5:33, 5:30, 5:27, 5:24, 5:21). All of the recovery jogs were at 8.0 MPH (7:30 pc). I felt really good today and at no point did this turn into a suffer-fest like treadmill workouts have been in the past. I think part of the reason I felt so good is because I have really taken it easy over the last three days. Either way, it paid off because I felt wonderful. I shook my legs loose with another couple easy miles giving me 12 for the afternoon and 20 total for the day. I did this workout one year ago and ran the following paces: (5:52, 5:46, 5:39, 5:36, 5:33, 5:27). I love seeing improvement!

1/5- Tempo Run: Today I ran a 12-mile medium long run with four miles in the middle at tempo pace. The route I selected was a bit rolling, with a net elevation loss. I don't particulary care for that. Basically, I ran 3+ miles to warm-up and did a few strides. Then I did four miles at 5:42, 5:42, 6:07 (big hill), and 5:43. It was a good overall run. I closed it out with another easy 5 miles at the end. I was exhausted from having worked a midnight shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment