Thursday, January 12, 2012

Base Training Week 7 Workouts

1/8- Long Run: Not much to report today. I did a 20+ mile run in Grand Isle, VT. The original plan was to do a Fast Finish around 6:20 pace, but they got some nasty weather the night before and made that task nearly impossible. However, I steadily increased my pace the whole time and covered the first 5 miles at 7:00 pace. By the time I got to 10 miles the overall pace was down to 6:52; at 15 it was 6:49 and when I finished it was 6:45 overall pace. The weather was frigid and there was a nasty wind at times. Over the last five miles I encountered a couple tough hill climbs. I checked my watch on the flats and found that I was running around 6:15 pc during those sections. Although it wasn't as structured as I wanted it to be I still got down there. I ended up getting a touch of frostbite on both thumbs...not cool. My first pre-Boston 20-miler is out of the way.

1/12- Long Tempo: This morning I did a 40:00 tempo run on the treadmill. I have been fighting a head cold and I thought that I had a sinus infection yesterday. I ended up taking a zero yesterday because I felt so awful. Anyway, when I woke up today I felt alive. I went to the mill and decided that I was going to put in a good honest effort. I did about a 15:00 warm-up, and then went for 40:00 and made it progressive. I started at 6:11 pace (9.7 MPH) and increased the speed by 0.1 MPH every 5:00. By the time I was 20:00 into the tempo run I was hitting 6:00 pace. I covered the whole 40:00 in this fashion and ended up finishing the last 5:00 at 5:46 pace. I shook my legs out with a few minutes of very easy running to get up over 9 miles on the morning. Overall it was 6.7 miles of tempo running at an average pace of 5:58mpm. I feel very confident right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment