Friday, December 23, 2011

Base Training Week 4 Workouts


12/20- 4-mile Tempo Run: Today's workout was on the treadmill again. It was 9 total miles with 4 of them at T pace. I am enjoying the base building phase, but frankly, I want to do more. I am having to use great restraint to stick to the plan. Anyway, I did a 3-mile warm-up with some strides then rolled into four miles at tempo pace. My splits were 5;52, 5;49, 5:49, 5:43. I felt terrific the whole time and could have kept going. I guess that is the point. The sub-5:50 pc is definitely easier now and I will be able to hold that for longer (5-6 mile) efforts.

12/22- White Hill: This is not really a workout, but it is certainly worthy of a short note. I am trying to do this loop once a week. It is 11 total miles and climbs 811 feet over the middle 4ish miles. The final climb summits White Hill, which is just under a half mile long and climbs 406' to the top. It is absolutely brutal! Last week I made it to the top in a lung searing 4:58. This week I shaved 40 seconds off that and summitted the bastard in 4:18. It is the worst 4+ minutes imagineable and when you reach the pavement it literally feels like your chest/legs are going to explode. It was a great way to tune-up for tomorrow's long run. See you next week White Hill!

Christmas Eve- Fast Finish Long Run: This morning Justin and I ran along the rail trail from his house. We ran out for 9 miles and turned around there. The trip out was just under 7:00 pc. When we got to 12 miles we stepped up the pace until we were running a little faster than my marathon pace. The goal was to do 4ish miles at the end around 6:15 pc. We ended up doing 4+ at 6:06 pace. My legs felt good and I definitely had more to give. It was reassuring. We cooled down with a couple easy miles back to the start giving us a grand total of 18 miles at 6:42 pace overall. Merry Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment