Saturday, December 3, 2011

Base Training Week 1 Workouts

11/29- Tempo Run: Today I did an 11 miler in Newport with 4 miles at tempo pace (5:45) along Route 10. I started at the Oak Street/Rt. 10 intersection and went north for two miles. The first two miles I covered in about 11:27, the final two miles I probably did closer to 11:33. I thought that I would have been a little quicker on the back half because it is "uphill" on the way out and "downhill" on the way back. I went a little too hard on the run and should have probably been closer to 5:50 pace overall. The last mile was pretty tough and I wouldn't have wanted to do much more than I did.

12/2- Hill Repeats: Today Mont, Rusty and I linked up and did some hill bangs at Pine Hill Mobile Home Park in Claremont. It was about a 3-mile warm-up to get to the hill from the RR Junction where we parked our cars. I had previously measured the hill and found it to be exactly 600 meters from the bottom to the top. The hill goes up for about 200m, then it levels off for about 200m, and climbs another 200m to the finish. It was a pretty interesting workout. The flat 200 in the middle of the rep really puts a different spin on things. My goal was to run them hard and stay consistent. For the most part, I did just that. I was a few seconds slower towards the end, but overall they were pretty close. Here is what I got

2:26
2:26
2:27
2:31
2:31
2:31

10.5 miles overall on the afternoon with 3600m (2.25 mi) at a hard pace. Of those 3600m, 2400 (1.5 mi) were uphill. It was nice to round out base training week I with this workout. There will be many more to follow over the next seven weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment