Monday, November 5, 2012

Week of 11/4/2012 Workouts

11/5 - I went to the track in hopes of running fast today. I started off thinking that I was going to do a ladder workout of 400, 800, 1200, mile, 1200, 800, 400 all at 5:20 pc. I usually run the 400s a little quicker. After a good 3-mile warm-up which included some strides and drills I got after it. I went through the 400 in 71 and the 800 in 2:38. Halfway through the 1200 my lungs felt like they were on fire and I couldn't catch my breath. I shut it down at 800 in 2:41. My thought about why this happened is because it was the first really cold day and there was a signifcant wind and snow falling when I was on the track. It was a bit of a shock to the system. Anyway, I did two more 800s in 2:41 and 2:45, respectively before I got enough sense to shut it down and go home. I was bummed that I couldn't get some more quality work done, but it was not going to be pretty. I ended up going out and running 6 more miles through Moody Park about an hour later. That was better, but still tough on my lungs. I passed a guy who was riding his bike in the same direction on Maple Ave. That made me happy. I got back home and wrecked my core for another half hour. Good enough for today.

11/8- This afternoon I did a workout on the treadmill, and it was my first one on the mill since my Boston Marathon cycle. I decided on an 8-mile progression run, which was not terribly difficult. I didn't want to go too deep into the well today because I doing a workout on Saturday morning at the track as well. I did the first mile as a warm-up in 7:00, then cut each mile down by 15 seconds from there each. The splits were (7:00, 6:45, 6:30, 6:15, 6:00, 5:45, 5:30, 7:00). They were actually a tad quicker than that, because the overall time was 50:39. The 5:30 mile felt good. It wasn't too hard, and I felt in control of it the whole time.

11/10- This morning I went to the track with Justin. It was meant to be 5 x mile at Tempo pace, but I decided to adjust it a little. We did a two-mile warm-up and then a few strides/drills, before getting on it. The goal was for us to do progressive miles, starting at 5:45 and cutting it down by 5 seconds until we did the final one at 5:25. We immediately went out too hard on the first two reps and then revised our plans after that. Here were the splits: (5:37, 5:30, 5:30, 5:29). We did another couple miles after to shake out our legs. It was a really good workout for me and a good first one back for Justin. I am pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment